Head of Facilities, The Outward Bound Trust
Location - Ullswater, Lake District
Salary - 30,000 - 40,000 plus great benefits
Catch 22 are pleased to be chosen as the recruitment partner for The Outward Bound Trust in their search to recruit a new Head of Facilities for its residential centres based in Ullswater in the Lake District. This a unique and exciting opportunity to lead and manage a state of the art facility in a very rewarding and diverse role.
The Outward Bound Trust is an educational charity providing adventure-based, outdoor learning for young people from six centres across the UK. Their forecast for the current year is to work with 26,600 young people Trust wide with 9,000 of those on courses at The Ullswater sites. The operation runs throughout the year with courses running during the week and weekends.
The Head of Facilities reports to the Head of Centre and is responsible for the day to day and strategic management of the buildings, estate and resources for both of these prestigious sites on the shores of Ullswater in the Lake District. The Howtown Centre was rebuilt by The Trust in in 2007 and has capacity to accommodate 72 residential participants. Ullswater Centre accommodates 140 and has been owned by The Trust for over 65 years.
The Facilities Department, based at the Ullswater sites, is made up of 7 staff across facilities/maintenance, stores and Transport. This team is scheduled to work over both the sites depending on the needs of the operation.
Critically, the Head of Facilities will have passion to continually improve the centres and have an "owners eye" looking to get the best out of The Trust's resources, and the Facilities team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Be a member of the Senior Leadership Team and will work with the Head of Centre and colleagues to ensure all participants have a fantastic experience at Outward Bound and that delivery of our service is seamless
- Work seamlessly with our Head of Hospitality at site level to ensure services are delivered to a high standard giving all our visitors a great experience
- Ensure that the facilities staff are safe and that all statutory obligations are met together with The Trust's safety and quality systems
- Work with the Head of Centre, and Director of Learning & Adventure, to plan and implement a medium term approach to maintenance of the buildings
- Work within agreed budgets to deliver agreed outcomes and best value
- Work to raise the standards of the building and facilities where ever possible, supporting the recent and ongoing investments in the buildings and facilities
- Proactively manage a monthly and annual maintenance programme for buildings, grounds, grounds equipment and boats within the available resources
- Contract with, and oversee, the work of contractors employed on routine maintenance and improvement projects, ensuring these projects are completed on time and within budgets whilst ensuring compliance with relevant Health & Safety regulations
- Attend and fully support the Heads of Facilities meetings across the Trust, and take responsibility for leading on national as well as local projects.
- Deliver H&S briefings and presentations for centre staff training days, with an emphasis on Fire Safety, Working at Heights, Manual Handling, Asbestos Awareness, Legionella etc.
- Be responsible as Transport Manager for a fleet of 6 minibuses, 2 company vehicles.
The successful candidate will be a qualified Facilities or Property Manager who is looking for a highly unique, rewarding and exciting opportunity. You will have experience of managing day to day operations within a large environment (preferably residential) and of managing large projects. Due to the nature of the organisation, the candidate must be a strong communicator who is able to connect with all stakeholders onsite (including children). The role could well suit somebody who is looking to relocate to a beautiful rural part of Britain.
In return, the Outward Bound Trust are offering a salary between 35,000 & 40,000 with the opportunity to grow and integrate into not only this welcoming working environment but also a very beautiful part of the UK. The Trust are able to offer accommodation to the successful applicant on a short term basis as well as looking at a package to support anybody relocating to take the role.
To discuss this exciting opportunity in more detail, please contact Scott Linnen, National Operations Director at Catch 22 on 0113 242 8055 or email Scottlinnen@c22.co.uk.
Key times & dates
Closing Date for applications - Friday 14 th April 2023
First interviews (Microsoft Teams) - 18 th April 2023
Second Interviews (Face to Face in Ullswater, Lake District) -- 26 th April 2023
Start Date - May/ June 2023